Tuesday, September 23, 2008

More New Cool Personal Poetry News

Hello all!

It's been a great couple weeks since my last personal Poetry News update. Although my streak of four acceptances in a row ended with a rejection from Pedestal Magazine, I did manage to get 12 poem acceptances from four Lit Zines in the past week or so. Yes, I am smiling!

First off, Michael Ogletree, the Poetry Editor of Sub Lit Magazine sent me a reply saying they will be using five of my poems in their November Issue. Michael sent a very nice note to me, one a writer always enjoys receiving and I am honored to be part of Sub Lit. Thank you muchly Michael!

I had two acceptances yesterday. First off, The editor of Flutter Poetry Journal Sandy Benitez alerted me that they have chosen one of mine for their October Issue. You have to check out Flutter, it's a beautiful magazine. The layout is so aesthetically pleasing. I love it! There are lot's of great reads there including my friend Rachel in the current issue and it's really easy to find your way around there. I am proud to be part of this magazine! Thanks again!

Then, later in the day, I heard back with an acceptance from Oonah V’yonne Joslin, the Managing Editor at Every Day Poets concerning the re-write requested poem that I had submitted back to them two days ago. Now, Duotrope Digest classifies EDP as a "Fledgling Market" because they are less then six months old but I think it is really great to be in on the ground floor of this magazine. They are preparing to launch the Mag on November 1st by posting one poem each and "Every Day". I have subscribed to receiving their daily feed and am excited for them. It's a place with very special people editing. The editorial staff, Nicholas Ozment, Constance Brewer, and Oonha provide personal comments on each poem submitted to them for publication. This is very rare these days I think. So, let's say you get rejected, you will know why the piece did not appeal to each one of them. This particular poem on the first go around had an area or two that prevented them from accepting it but they did like a lot of it and challenged me to improve it and re-submit. They really gave me some nice replies back on acceptance and this my friends is is like a piece of gold a poet can store away in their pocket, a treasure! I would high recommend all who desire publication to submit your work to Every Day Poets.

Finally, today I heard back from Alison Ross of Clockwise Cat. I had a couple poems in their Issue 10 and she is really busy putting the finishing touches on Issue 11 due out any day now. She let me know that all five of the poems I submitted to them will be part of Issue 12 due out in late December. Thanks Alison! I am happy to be back at CC.

Okay, wooo,(deep breath) I currently have 19 pieces pending response with a wait times ranging from 130 days to 2 days... so I wait, write and revise when I can, and research for my next round of submissions. Another cool fact is that all 12 poems accepted as explained above are part of either of the two chapbook manuscripts that I have compiled and submitted for a chance at publiction to two different Small Press Publishers. Now I have some editing of acknowledgment pages in each that needs to take place to give these fine Magazines proper credit for being the first to publish each poem. Fun stuff!!

Peace and love!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pedestals are just glorified stumps--don't you know???

Calder said...

Well, this one is a tough market...lol, maybe another day.

Thanks friend!

Peace and love!

The Mad Dog said...

Outstanding!

Calder said...

Cheers Dale!!